Boinkie's Blog

Universalis

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Religious trivia: St. Dracula and the feast of the Transfiguration

From Scott's Catholicism blog:
Pope Callixtus III added the Feast of the Transfiguration to the calendar to celebrate the important victory of the Hungarian nobleman Janos Hunyadi and the elderly priest St. John of Capistrano at the Siege of Belgrade in July 1456. Breaking the siege, their troops reinforced the Christians at Belgrade, the Muslim Turks were routed, and Islam was stopped from advancing further into Europe.

With the exception of St. John of Capistrano, Hunyadi could find no significant allies to accompany him to Belgrade, but he did enlist the help of young prince Vlad, who agreed to guard the passes into Rumania, thus cutting off the Turk. Without his aid, the battle might not have been won. Vlad was a brutal man whose actions earned him immortality as the fictional vampire, but some Orthodox Christians venerate him as a saint for confronting the Islamic threat to Christian Europe. As we celebrate the Feast of the Transfiguration, we might at least offer a prayer for his soul.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • Hi! I read about you regarding the Filipinos finally getting money from the U.S. I didn't know any other way to write you. My grandfather, Captain Jucinto Salva was in Ilocos Norte P.I. and was a guerilla fighter. I was wondering if your husband knew him? My blog talks about their experience. Please write me back. Judi

    By Blogger JUDI, at 8:42 AM  

  • No, my husband's brother might, since he led the local unit, but he is dead. My husband only joined them at the end of the war and only with them here..(because of his age).

    I tried writing back but I couldn't find you.

    By Blogger boinky, at 2:47 PM  

  • thanks for getting back to me. My email is judisalva@hotmail.com

    By Blogger JUDI, at 5:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home