Boinkie's Blog

Universalis

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Audiobooks

Right now I am downloading Jane Eyre.

Earlier I downloaded Anne of Green Gables from the same free library, and am listening to it on my mp3 player, mainly at night when I go to sleep.

It is almost as if I am slowly having 40 years of medicine lifted from my spirit...I try to pray, and all I get is attacks and accusations of things I did wrong...not just sins but social faux pas or things I did that were good but stupid or rejected.

So it soothes me to read the old fashioned novels where women had grace, something that I never had.

I also found the Mitford series here in used bookstores. I left my series at home or gave it away when I came overseas, mainly bringing the heavy history or classics with me. The first year I was here, there were few books unless I went to the next town (no one here reads ) but now both the stationary store and the local mall have "used" books, that is books that were given back to used book stores. All are used but good condition, and mostly they are "best seller" types from two to three years ago.

But sometimes you find a gem. I just reread "I heard the owl call my name" which I love (I worked with Indians, although not the coastal tribes). Today I gave it to Joy's cousin who is a nun and going to the Visayas to teach catechism. They are Visayans, but now that Joy has married she has a lot of her family up here.

Another book I gave her is one of my two copies of Poustina. I love Catherine Doherty, but the best books on her are the ones by her husband Eddie...

I would love his book on her "Tumble weed" to be made into a movie.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home