Boinkie's Blog

Universalis

Thursday, December 25, 2008

Mary



Merry Christmas to all.

The film of the video comes from the Nativity Story
The film has many theological and plot problems (it changes the story for dramatic effect, but then goes boring when the well known part is followed).

But the actress who played Mary, Keisha Castle-Hughes, gets the spirit of Mary correct. She is friendly, strong, attractive, and glows with joy, unlike too many actresses who portray Mary as a passive withdrawn dreamy personality.

(Keisha Castle Hughes is best known for her previous role in WhaleRider...and indeed, she is half Maori).

When the movie was released, reporters noted snidely that the actress was pregnant during filming even though unmarried, and confronted one Vatican cardinal with the "scandal".

The Cardinal instead said, (I paraphras) ah yes, and because of the pregnancy she could play Mary with that glow of all expectant mothers.

So although I didn't really like the film, when I think of Mary at the time of Christ's birth, I find this movie portrays her the best.

And for Mary during Christ's passion, I see the Mary of Passion of the Christ, Maia Morgenstern.

Ironic, isn't it, that the best portrayals of Mary in the Cinema are by non Catholic actresses?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home