Liberating Lady
this weekend is the 25th anniversary of the "EDSA" people power revolt that overturned Marcos.
The PhilInquirer has an article on the Pilgrim virgin statue of our Lady of Fatima that was carried in the protest.
many people remember that, although Marcos' troops were ordered to fire on the protesters, that they didn't because a "beautiful lady" asked them not to do it.
Many folks believe that the beautiful lady was the Virgin herself, leading the procession.

Others say it is urban legend.
Cardinal Sin merely shrugs and quips: Some say she was a nun, but I know all the nuns in the front, and none of them were beautiful.
But in this article, Butz (Nino's brother) mentions seeing a beautiful lady:
Butz remembers EDSA.
We sat in front of the lead tank. Two nuns appeared and knelt in front of us. Then the tanks started rolling toward us.
I wanted to run but could not because the two nuns did not budge. I would rather lose my life than lose face. I could not imagine myself running ahead of the nuns. There was also a pretty lady beside me. I said that if the tanks would really run over us, I would have to protect her by throwing my body on top of her so we would get quashed together. Bahala na! (So be it!) I was very nervous.
The tanks stopped about three meters in front of us. There was a collective sigh of relief. There was wild jubilation. We were grateful that the tanks spared us...
you really should read the article, which is full of ironic humor...

and this is the statue that was erected at the intersection...
Folks here call it the "ugly madonna"...for obvious reasons.
The PhilInquirer has an article on the Pilgrim virgin statue of our Lady of Fatima that was carried in the protest.
many people remember that, although Marcos' troops were ordered to fire on the protesters, that they didn't because a "beautiful lady" asked them not to do it.
Many folks believe that the beautiful lady was the Virgin herself, leading the procession.

Others say it is urban legend.
Cardinal Sin merely shrugs and quips: Some say she was a nun, but I know all the nuns in the front, and none of them were beautiful.
But in this article, Butz (Nino's brother) mentions seeing a beautiful lady:
Butz remembers EDSA.
We sat in front of the lead tank. Two nuns appeared and knelt in front of us. Then the tanks started rolling toward us.
I wanted to run but could not because the two nuns did not budge. I would rather lose my life than lose face. I could not imagine myself running ahead of the nuns. There was also a pretty lady beside me. I said that if the tanks would really run over us, I would have to protect her by throwing my body on top of her so we would get quashed together. Bahala na! (So be it!) I was very nervous.
The tanks stopped about three meters in front of us. There was a collective sigh of relief. There was wild jubilation. We were grateful that the tanks spared us...
you really should read the article, which is full of ironic humor...

and this is the statue that was erected at the intersection...
Folks here call it the "ugly madonna"...for obvious reasons.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home