Boinkie's Blog

Universalis

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Kateri

Kateri is important for Native Americans.

People often assume that Native Americans are "spiritual" but ignore that many are Christian...and have been for a couple hundred years.

Many converted not to reject their own belief system, but because the revelation of Christ perfected their belief, and assured them that the vague "Great spirit" sent his son to suffer and die and protect his people, just like a great chief does.

Ironically, some anti Catholic priests ridiculed her in more recent times saying she was merely imitating French virgin spirituality.

Actually, her spirituality was very Indian, and the French priest had to discourage her severe penances...penances that have their roots not in some medieval convent but in the fasting and flesh offerings of Indians during vision quests who search for God.

An accurate book on some Native American spirituality of the Chippewa tribe would be Michael O'Brien's book A Cry of Stone... (Having worked with many tribes, I know it can't be generalized to one belief or custom system).

It is not his "best book" (I prefer Strangers and Sojurners) nor his easiest one to read. But it says a lot to those of us who think doing lots of good stuff is the way to holiness (when often our deeds are full of ourselves) .

And I say this not to criticize those of us who do good deeds, but I recognize that we all have our own calling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home