Boinkie's Blog

Universalis

Thursday, August 25, 2016

Holiness in Liturgy? Yes, I'm old enough to remember that

InsightScoop discusses the loss of holiness in the liturgy.

He points towards a breakdown of sense in liturgy. He shows how this breakdown ominously points to senselessness likewise in life and belief. It is tempting to imagine his subtitle ending with a question mark: ‘Liturgy, Ritual, and Expression of the Sacred?’ Does the Church’s liturgy enable, now, the expression and communication of sacred realities? Is the ‘sacred’ still a meaningful category? 

nah, liturgy is about celbrating ME ME ME.

And don't get me started on the US church emphasis on the "kiss of peace" part or that we now meet after church for coffee.

For years I attended church in agony, because I was alone, and this faux togetherness was nauseating to me.

And don't get me started on the kiss of peace: Finally, a time in church when it was quiet and I could pray (i.e. no bad music to put up with) and suddenly this is interrrupted to show you really really care about your neighbor: Hi there. Yes, I don't know you and I don't really care about you outside of church even though you live down the street from me, but let's pretend.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home