Boinkie's Blog

Universalis

Sunday, September 03, 2006

men without chests

link to my essay...

David Warren started it by daring to criticize reporters who blithely "converted" to Islam...

Typical Stockholm syndrome, and typical of civilians and abused women.

But he got a lot of criticism (one blogger called him a "religious fanatic") and his follow up essay is HERE

I didn't condemn the two Fox News journalists for simple cowardice. I condemned them because they didn't think twice; because they took capitulation for granted. I condemned them because they showed no regret for having committed apostasy & treason, regardless of how they were pushed to it. Because they sold out the West without a second thought, & continue to sell us out now that they are free. That is what I found so starchless.

If, after their release, they had shown the slightest contrition for what they had done, I would never have bothered to write about them. For they are merely topical examples, of a much larger phenomenon, that fills my inbox from day to day.

The expression "men without chests" comes from C.S. Lewis, incidentally, as "straw men" from T.S. Eliot. These are not my inventions: they are what is called "allusions". The terms don't refer to cowardice alone, but to something broader & emptier.

One last point: a direct answer to the people who asked me, plainly, "What would you do in the position of those Fox guys?"

I would pray, ask God to guide me, & give me the strength to obey. And on my own account, I might think: "I'm getting off easy. I've lived this really reprobate life for half a century, & God is letting me off if I can just get the last twenty minutes right. It's time to cheer up."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home